Monday, October 1, 2012

A Week of Writing and Design

This week I'm taking a little hiatus from my blog post series regarding my Black Earth characters and the themes found in my Black Earth novels so I can focus on some writing and design.

First off, starting today, I'm participating in the Writing.com PreNaNo Challenge. This challenge requires me to participate in a writing activity each day of the month to get me ready for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in November. I'll be writing up protagonist/antagonist profiles, environment descriptions, backstories, and outlines, all to get me ready for November.

Second, I'm going to be doing some design work this week on my main website - www.davidnalderman.com, this blog, and my FB pages and Twitter profile. My main website has had some design issues I've been wanting to resolve for some time now. This blog needs to be cleaned up a bit and possibly changed to a new style. And my FB pages need new background images, and now that Twitter has added deeper customization to profiles, I figured I'd tackle that while I'm at it.

Throughout the week, I'll be posting some of the challenges I'm doing for the PreNaNo, starting with today's which calls for me to write out my NaNo novel's premise.

First off, the tentative title of my NaNo novel is Black Earth: Spectrum. My plan is for this to be a novella set in the Black Earth timeline, but with new characters and storyline. None of the plot will take place on Earth, but in some will take place in space after SilverTech's shuttles have left Earth to head to Anaisha.

One particular shuttle - the Adengors - comes into contact with heavy space debris and is forced to crash land on a nearby planet: Spectrum. Spectrum was originally mentioned in the third novel of my Black Earth series, Dark Masquerade. The planet is the most technically advanced in the universe because twelve spies were sent out to reach twelve different areas of space to obtain knowledge and technology which was then brought back to Spectrum, and now the planet is an all-powerful utopia of knowledge, technology, weaponry, and defense systems.

I haven't sketched out any of the new characters yet, but I know that some of them will be the flight crew of the ship, and others will be wealthy inhabitants of Earth who were able to pay SilverTech's exuberant fee for shuttle transport to Anaisha. Since a good portion of the story will take place on Spectrum, many of Spectrum's inhabitants will come into play, including the Spectrum council and the Ryloc's, which were mentioned very briefly in Dark Masquerade. I will also reveal a bit of what happened to Evanescence's magical staff, which was taken to Spectrum during the novel series.

No comments: