Friday, January 21, 2011

Return To Journaling


 I announced earlier this week that my wife and I are officially expecting a little one, the due date of which will be revealed through the first ultrasound later today. And since learning this spectacularly exciting news, I've come to the conclusion that maybe I should return to journaling.

When I was twelve years old, I used to keep a digital diary on my computer. Typed on a monitor that displayed amber-colored text and printed on paper that had the perforated holes on each side, I recorded my misadventures through junior high. I even kept a physical journal where I gushed about my junior high/high school crush.

Nowadays, I can't bring myself to write anything in longhand - except maybe church and/or some story notes - but I have been thinking it would be a good idea to return to a digital journal of sorts. I desire to do this for many different reasons. For one, I kick myself for not keeping a journal over the last year and a half. Since I was fired from my last 'real' job and took on self-publishing as a full time career, I've seen God do miraculous things, things that probably would have benefited me and others to have recorded.

Oh well. Can't dwell on the past and what could have been. Besides, I recorded some of the most important moments in my blog, which is an online journal of sorts. ;)

With the announcement of a baby on the way (a girl, I hope), I thought it would be the perfect time to start a journal to record the journey we are taking in branching our little family out. I also think it's a good idea to record the continuation of my self-publishing career, maybe even keep some good notes of the story ideas that come to me at all hours of the day. The journal can act as a good reference when I decide to sit down and write out my memoirs, and can prove to be a great record of history to show my kids, especially when they ask me what things were like in my day.

The benefits of journaling greatly outweigh the fifteen minutes to half hour it would take me to record an entry each day and give me something great to look back on when I wonder how I got to where I am. :)

No comments: