Monday, May 2, 2011

Writing Prompt #10 - The Fridge

Not entirely sure where the weekend went, but here we are at Monday again and another writing prompt!

Remember, you can write as little or as much as you'd like, and if you want, you can post your response to the prompt right here. **All work is under copyright of its authors**

Here we go...

Your character(s) opens the refrigerator and finds something there that isn't really supposed to be in there...

Jessica stared at the carrots for a moment, trying to remember if she had purchased them on her last shopping trip. Two shelves in the refrigerator were covered in the orange vegetable. The rest of the fridge was stocked with her normal items - yogurt, bread, eggs, mayonnaise, butter, milk...

Reaching into the fridge, she grabbed one of the carrots and observed it, feeling a bit foolish for forgetting what it was she purchased at the store just two days earlier. She took a nibble from the end and crunched down on the tasty treat. She couldn't remember a carrot tasting this sweet before. It was delicious. She took another nibble, and another, not really caring where it had come from now.

"Hey, that's mine!"

Jessica spun around to a black rabbit who sat on her counter, staring at her with deep blue eyes. "Um..."

"You're eating my carrot."

Jessica dropped the vegetable on the floor and stood, staring at the animal. A talking rabbit? Really? She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, wondering if maybe she had caught too much of a whiff of her neighbors pot cloud outside when she came home minutes ago.

"I'm real, by the way. As strange as it may seem."

When she opened her eyes, Jessica noticed the rabbit had moved to the floor and was staring up at her.

"I am a talking rabbit. Take it in."

"I...I don't think I can."

"Sure you can. You see me talking, right? And I am a rabbit, according to your planet's descriptions of rabbits, right?"

She nodded.

"Okay then. Now, I'm not really a rabbit. I'm a guardian. And I usually take human form, but I need to be a bit inconspicuous."

"Inconspicuous? You're a talking rabbit. And I'm actually talking to you and entertaining this idea. This is ridiculous."

"It's not ridiculous. And I'm not going to be talking to everyone. Just you. I was sent to protect you."

"Protect me? From what? And who would send a talking rabbit to protect me?"

"Who isn't important right now. The what is. There are some who...think you may have special abilities that they would like to use at their disposal. We can't let that happen."

"We?"

The rabbit nodded. "I will be living here, as your pet. You just keep that fridge stocked of carrots and I'm good."

Jessica opened the refrigerator and stared at the carrots again. When she turned back to the rabbit, he was on the counter.

"I eat twelve a day."

"Twelve?!"

The rabbit nodded. "My metabolism isn't one of a rabbit. But carrots is all I can tolerate while I'm in this form."

Jessica wondered about her own sanity. "Well then, I guess we'll need more carrots."

No comments: