Thursday, February 28, 2013

The End Of A Season

It's been a long season, spiritually speaking, filled with discipline, learning, growth, and dream-shaping.

It was 3 1/2 years ago when I was wrongfully fired from my 9-5 data entry job. It was then that God set me on a path to pursue my writing career. 7 books later (6 novels, 1 novella), and I cannot even recognize who I was at the beginning of this path.

When God whispered the promise that that particular data entry job would be the last conventional job I would work in before my writing took off, I wasn't aware of the context God spoke the promise in. I figured the day I walked out of that building was the day I would see my sales soar and my income balance out to where I could at least pay the electric bill with one of my royalty checks.

But God had other plans.

And isn't that how it always ends up? Very rarely - if at all - do I find that I completely understand God's intentions when He gives a promise. I had no idea it would take 3 1/2 years for my wife and I to get to a place where we would be able to handle my writing career taking off. This season has been the most difficult of my entire life, a constant stretch and pull of my spirit. My intentions have been questioned and refined, my purpose has been chiseled and hacked, my perception of who God is and what He really wants has been clarified.

I've been caught up in reflection lately, looking back over my shoulder to take account of the path God has brought me along. I see now how the pieces of my life fell perfectly into place to bring me to where I am now. I see now how God guided me along some ridiculously narrow ledges, how He carried me over dark pits I didn't even know were there, and how He comforted me when I had to give up some baggage - like bad friendships, counterfeit opportunities, and selfish motives. The path, stretches back farther than I can see, revealing to me that He was working even in my childhood to bring me to this day, to this spot in time.

Ephesians 2:10 - "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."

And now I'm at the end of this season. I know it in the very core of my being. The door that I've been standing in front of all these years - the door I've been knocking on until my knuckled bled, the door I've attempted to pick the lock on at times, the door which I spread my tears upon, the door I've attempted to kick down in my darkest hours - it will be opened. The door will be opened, and this dream will be birthed, and it will happen quicker than I could have imagined, and it will bring about a fulfillment of the promise greater than I could possibly have fathomed.

Habakkuk 2:3 - "For the vision is yet for the appointed time; It hastens toward the goal and it will not fail. Though it tarries, wait for it; For it will certainly come, it will not delay."

Today marks the end of one season, opening the way for a new season. Opening the way for the fulfillment of a promise.

No comments: